Monday, November 22, 2010

Fun, Free, and/or Cheap Ways to Date Ms. Charlotte J (The Pensacola Edition)

How hard is it to date, I mean really?  Finding the right person can be difficult.  In fact, it can seem downright impossible.  But finding romantic places to go in this town are easy. 
-First, the beach.  I mean, can you go wrong?  Not that I am really comfortable in a bikini or anything.  In fact, I think I’d rather have a guy see me naked before I’d want him to see me in swimwear.  If he has seen me naked, he is already hooked and all that flesh in public should not scare him off, right? 
Swimwear aside, you can’t get better than a walk along the beach at sunset.  I would love to make out on the beach.  I have once with this Alabama guy at night outside the Florabama, but that is another story.  One time my date and I went to a lovely restaurant in Santa Rosa.  Afterwards, I wanted to walk along the beach and get my toesies in the sand.  He refused to follow me.  This was a bad sign.  I am no longer seeing him.
-          The second free activity is the Naval Museum.  This is about a mile tops away from my house.  It is a nice place to walk around.  You can also climb in and out of flight simulators.  Giggle as you reach around each other flipping switches.  Take all kinds of pictures.  Fun!  There is also a lighthouse on the base.  I believe there might be a small fee to climb to the top.  Hey, if you and your date can hoof it up to the top, it will prove you two have the stamina for some athletic boom-chaca-wow-wow later.  Also, there is a beach nearby.  But that beach is probably heavily guarded and giving hickeys might be a federal offense on military bases.

-          Thai food.  Yummy!  Any kind of ethnic food is a great date place.  The ambiance is often unusual and fun.  Many ethnic places have high quality, unique food at reasonable prices.  It can be an experience, something to talk about, and a way to get to know each other better.  I know I am impressed when a date takes me to his favorite ethnic restaurant and suggests dishes he might think I like, without being too pushy.  Do not order for me, though.  I am not a child.  One time a date put lemon juice on my oysters without asking.  It turned out to be good, but that is like salting someone else’s food.  This was also a first date.  Bad sign.  This was also the guy who on a later date would not follow me into the ocean.

-          The movies, a great standard, but a terrible first date.  Unless you are so uncomfortable you would just rather sit in the dark and not talk. I love going to movies and later discussing them.  Discussing movies can tell you a lot about a person: how they think, their world view, their interest or even awareness of the arts, sense of humor, how negative or positive their outlook.  It is important.  Right now I would love for some nice man to take to see Harry Potter.  I saw all the other movies with my ex-husband…. Sigh… He really was a great guy.

-          Art, ethnic or music festivals: Any kind of activity where you can look around and take in culture or art or something and eat food is great.  Sign me up!

-          Sporting events, I almost forgot.  I have been to a few on dates that have included sporting events.  My ex-husband was not too much into sports, but every other guy I have seen since really was into either watching and/or playing sports.  I am sure there might be some kind of stereotype in there somewhere.  I am not a huge sports fan, but I think going and seeing a game is fun.  Cuddling on the couch watching football while I read, play on the computer or knit on a Sunday afternoon is also perfectly acceptable time spent with my best guy.  Hell, I’ll even make you some nachos.  Just don’t be obsessive about it, okay?

-          Walking dogs.  Much like the art festival thing.  My dog is very important in my life.  Love me, love my dog.  If a guy doesn’t like dogs or is weird or cruel to dogs, I cut them to the curb real quick.  Also, if he has dogs I can’t help but draw a connection to see what kind of father he might be.  Who is the “alpha” anyway?  Often, my stupid doggie chooses a male to be her alpha.  I resent that.  It was my ex-husband, then my ex-boyfriend, now it is kind of my Dad, although she still looks to me for guidance.  Sigh….

-          Photo walks.  I have always wanted to do this on a date, but have never pulled it off.  I even have two cameras.  I think it would be fun to walk around town or in nature, whatever and see what the two of us saw as “artistic” by the end of the day.  Fun, huh? 

That is all I can think of at the moment for fun and/or cheap ways to woo me.  Would it be narcissistic to say that if I were a guy I would date me?  J  I am fun.  I am clever.  I am only a little psycho, but what girl isn’t in her own way?  Isn’t that part of our charm?  Anyway, Pensacola is rife with romantic potential, but these tips can be used in just about anywhere.  Just show your date a good time and that you are interested in them, not just that you are interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment